Should we look beyond the National Forests?

Up to Potential Locations

Should we look beyond the National Forests?

Posted by Dennis Miller at July 02. 2014

Any location on Forest Service land is potentially subject to permits and to party-size restrictions.  Ironically, the permitting process that impacted us was supposed to make life easier. I mean, it's purportedly more difficult to get permits for other areas because they are not as actively managed and the supporting processes are not as streamlined. 

So, does that mean we can use areas that aren't actively managed?  Good question. I think we'd be well-advised to avoid any areas that are contingent on permits. Why? Because we are kept at arm's length from the permit application, are disadvantaged in the allocation of student days, and don't learn the result until it's too late. I mean, we cannot approach the Forest Service on our own and any expectation that the PC would do so earnestly in our behalf, is a long shot.

Even if we can overcome those obstacles, mainly imposed by the Mountaineers, we still must address the party-size issue.