San Juan Islands from Anacortes


Sea Kayak - Turn & Doe Islands

Join me in opening a new classic route through the San Juans. We will travel through the San Juans with current assist and camp on two beautiful islands. This trip is sure to become known as the "Two Island Classic"

COVID-19: Learn about our most up-to-date guidance for participants and leaders on our COVID-19 Response page. All participants and leaders must agree to the COVID-19 Code of Conduct before participating in this Mountaineers activity.
  • Tue, Apr 27, 2021 — Thu, Apr 29, 2021
  • Seattle Sea Kayaking
  • Sea Kayaking
  • Adults
  • Sea Kayak IV
  • Challenging
  • Mileage: 43.0 nm
  • Maximum Wind: 20 kts
  • Maximum Waves: 6 ft
  • Maximum Currents: 5 kts
  • Pace: 3.5kts

Meet at Washington Park for morning launch. Time to be determined but anticipate 8:30 to 9:00am. Plan plenty of time to pack boat with overnight equipment and shuttle cars to long term parking. Who do time and tide wait for?

This trip combines two classic trips - Washington Park to Friday Harbor and Doe Island overnight - to make a 3 day current powered circumnavigation of Lopez Island. We get to camp on two beautiful islands: Turn and Doe. Mid week in April we should have them to our selves.

Day 1: Morning launch from Washington park and paddle out into the Rosario ebb current. I may choose to remain in the current longer than other leaders have.

Current through cattle pass are up to 4 kts. Be prepared for chaotic seas up to 4ft, maybe more. This is rougher than Deception Pass.

Day 2: Leisurely launch to catch afternoon current in Upright Channel and Obstruction pass.

Day 3: Morning Launch from Doe to catch southbound to Washington Park.

Max Conditions: My intended max is 15 knot winds. We may have wind against current, so anticipate some significant waves. We will go in forecast winds up to 20 kts, depending on the details. Forecast over 20 kts will likely cancel or re-route the trip.  It is not my intention to seek out these conditions.  My preference is to have a relaxed trip in the anticipated weather.  But it is spring time.

For safety, everyone should be prepared to spend an extra night on this trip. Shifting the trip by one day is also a possibility.  

COVID: We will maintain social distance during this trip.

Weather: I'm anticipating mild, sunny days with moderate following winds.

Pace: Medium pace. Roughly equivalent to 3.5 kts effort on flat water. However, be prepared to paddle into wind if needed.

Cost:  Camping and other fees will be shared.


San Juan Islands from Anacortes

  • Rosario Strait & Bellingham WA001

    Sea Trails Lopez, Blakely, Decatur & Shaw Islands WA002

    NOAA Bellingham to Everett No. 18423

    NOAA Strait of Juan de Fuca to Strait of Georgia No. 18421
  • See full route/place details.
Required Equipment

Required Equipment

In addition to the kayaking essentials:

Helmets strongly suggested.

Sails are optional. If you choose to sail, you must be able to stay with the group.

Personal camping equipment.

Trip Reports