Intermediate Alpine Climb - Mount Stuart/West Ridge

Trip

Intermediate Alpine Climb - Mount Stuart/West Ridge

Info
COVID-19: Learn about our most up-to-date guidance for participants and leaders on our COVID-19 Response page. All participants and leaders must agree to the COVID-19 Code of Conduct before participating in this Mountaineers activity.
  • Sat, May 21, 2016 — Sun, May 22, 2016
  • Seattle Climbing
  • Climbing
  • Intermediate Alpine
  • Adults
  • Intermediate Rock Climb
  • Challenging
  • Elevation Gain: 5,250 ft

Friday night bivy somewhere up in the Teanaway, TBD.
Pre-dawn start Saturday morning. 

UPDATE:  This is cancelled, due to the combination of the Teanaway road closure due to spring washouts, and the sub-optimal weather forecast (60% chance of a rain/snow mix on Saturday, 40% on Sunday.) 

Here's my general plan for it:  Trailhead bivy Friday night, predawn start on Saturday.  The approach will have a lot of snow, but if we start early enough, it should be very solid for booting or cramponing, as we won't be bringing snowshoes.  Approach via Ingalls Lake, and climb to the summit on Saturday.  We'd pack extremely light/minimal overnight gear (probably no tent,) and consider spending Saturday night either near the summit or somewhere on the descent.  Do the remaining descent & hike out on Sunday morning.

For overnight gear I'm thinking one shared stove for all four of us, no water filter (use only iodine or other chemical treatments instead,) maybe one shovel depending on snow conditions, possibly no tents (tarp or bivy bag, if it's light enough.)  Bring whatever sleeping bag & pad you'd like, but I strongly recommend keeping it light.

Route/Place

Mount Stuart/West Ridge


Roster
Required Equipment

Required Equipment

We'll discuss this in email.  A light alpine rock setup, plus ice axe & crampons.  Light overnight gear, keep in mind that it's a carryover.

Trip Reports