The Mountaineers invented the Ten Essentials in 1976, when the iconic list was debuted in the third edition of "Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills". Learn the list, and it's origin.
Dr. Charles Crenchaw, the first African-American to summit Denali on July 9, 1964, climbed the peak as a member of a Mountaineers trip. His story is one of many told in the book "The Adventure Gap: Changing the Face of the Outdoors" by journalist James Edward Mills, excerpted here.
The BeWild Speaker Series, presented by adidas outdoor, puts passion and adventure on the stage. Come to any one of these talks - or all four - and leave inspired to seek adventure, connect with nature, and protect the wild places where we play.
Marketing executive and outdoorsman Tom Vogl named as new CEO of The Mountaineers.
Meet Tom Vogl, the new CEO of The Mountaineers, who is thrilled to combine his personal passions with a job leading this great organization to positively impact the lives of individuals and the well-being of our community.
In early February, we joined other members of the Big Tent Coalition to advocate for the important role of outdoor recreation in Washington.
- *upcoming* Events
- May 01, 2016 BC Workshop- Warehouse Rock Gym Climbing Night Warehouse Rock Gym, Olympia, WA
- May 04, 2016 Adventure Speaker Series - Backcountry Foods Workshop-Dixie Havlak, R.D. The Friends Center
- May 07, 2016 BC Rock Fundamentals FT, Spire Rock Spire Rock, Spanaway, WA
- May 21, 2016 BC Rock Weekend FT- McCleary Cliffs McCleary Cliffs, Lake Cushman, WA
- May 31, 2016 BC Outdoor lecture- Crevasse Rescue Practice TBD