|Seattle: Sea Kayaking: From the Oct 2006 meeting...|
|Sun, November 5, 2006 04:51 PM|
From the October 2006 SK Committee meeting: |
Communication: A discussion was held concerning posting of trips on the Community web site.
Equivalency: John Kelly reported there are two potential candidates for equivalency.
Leadership: A discussion was held concerning a member who is currently being mentored as a trip leader.
Safety: No updates at this time.
- Felicia reminded the group the Graduation Party would start at 06:30. Gary Luhm will give a 30-minute slide presentation. Help would be needed for set-up and clean up for the group. Felicia will bring the main entree; Sarah will bring the graduation cakes.
- Mike has arranged a presentation by Nigel Foster. It will be held on Tuesday, 5 December at REI. See details in the Go Guide and the REI Calendar. The presentation is in lieu of the December meeting.
Treasurer: Dede reported that she has received the money from the Wilderness First Aid (WFA) class and most of the money for the upcoming Paddler Developmental Weekend (PDW). She will mail the checks to Mary.
- Dede reported the Wilderness First Aid class was well received and appeared to be an overall success. It may be offered again next year.
- Mike reported that almost everything was in place for the Paddler Developmental Weekend on the 13th, 14th, & 15th of October at the Environmental Learning Center at Deception Pass. Twenty plus students are signed up. There is no entertainment for Saturday night yet. George will continue in his endeavors to find a projector for a slide presentation by some of the members about their travels. Dede is heading the Administrative crew (or is the Admin crew), Connie will oversee the clean-up crew, Alice is Head Chef and organizing her crew, and Lisa will interface with the Park Ranger.
- Mike noted the 2006 Roll Class begins with Train-the-Trainer at 06:45 at Evergreen Pool in Burien on 28 October. The classes will follow on the 4th, 11th, and 18th of November at Evergreen Pool, at 07:00.
- Mike has scheduled a clinic with Nigel Foster for 25 November. A Forward Strokes Clinic with Nigel is scheduled for 2 December, with a repeat of the strokes clinic in January. Details will be in the Go Guide and on the web site.
- Mike has spoken with Shawna Franklin and Leon Somme from BodyBoatBlade, securing them for Train-the-Trainer for the 2007 Basic Class On the Water Day. There was a discussion as to what the Train-the-Trainer should include. No decision was made at this time.
Trips: Leslie reported there are no trips pending. The issue was again raised about the lack of trips this time of year. Leslie also asked the Committee how interactive she should be with those who complained that no trips were available. She did note that there was only one complaint, but the trip requested was for a date and destination specified by the paddler. The lack of fall and winter trips is an ongoing issue and discussion will be continued at a later time.
Naturalist: No updates at this time.
Basic Class 2006: The Graduation of the Sea Kayak Class of 2006 is scheduled to begin at 6:30PM. Certificates are still to come from the Mountaineers. There are approximately 30 graduates at this time.
- Guest policy: George passed out copies of an e-mail from Steve Costie with his thoughts on non-member guests on trips. His comments will be discussed at the November meeting.
- Misc: A suggestion was made that perhaps some of the money made by the Committee be spent next year for polypro shirts, or coffee mugs, for the volunteer Instructors.
- Basic Class 2007: Barb reported on the various issues concerning securing a pool for the 2007 Basic Kayak Class Train-the Trainer and student pool sessions. Discussion also continued on the wording about student requirements related to re-entering a boat in cold water after capsizing and if a time requirement should be stated.
The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, 7 November at 7:00 PM at REI.