Snoqualmie Mtn (winter)
Seattle Alpine Scrambling
Issaquah Transit Center
ORIGINAL TRIP POSTING:
The goal of this trip will be to scramble Red Mountain at the back of Commonwealth Basin at Snoqualmie Pass.
To summit this peak in the winter we have to have just the right conditions. The top 800' of this peak is the equivilent of a black diamond ski slope. Too much fresh snow and the slope would be too steep and/or too dangerous to climb. Not enough snow and/or too much rain and the slope will be too icy. But when the conditions are "Moderate", it is great fun.
If it does not work out we will go elsewhere, most likely to Mt Catherine via the Lake Annette trailhead.
Meet inside the Issquah Transit Center parking garage on the first floor in the Northeast corner at 7:00 AM. Call me on my cell phone at 425-442-6411 if you are running late.
- Ice Axe is always required.
- MSR snowshoes are required.
- Crampons are required for this trip. Yak Traks and Microspikes are not adequate, but short-tooth aluminum crampons are ok.
- Helmet is required.
- Avalanche Becon is optional but is highly recommended on all winter trips.
- Avalanche shovel and/or probe are optional, but we should have 4 of each for the group.
We will park at Summit West Ski area, then head up the Commonwealth Basin via the old Cascade Crest Trail and the PCT.
Here is a link to printable map of the area: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=47.453005,-121.393326&z=15&t=t4
NOTE: In the event of heavy nasty rain, the trip will change to an umbrella hike up either Mt Si or Tiger Mountain based on group interest.