Basic Belay/Rappel Field Trip/Kitsap Cabin and Green Mt.
(Qualified Youth Leader)
This Field Trip focuses on belay and rappel skills. Students will also be formatively assessed for knots and equipment (basic climbing gear, pack, and 10 essentials. The knots that will be assessed are:
- water knot (aka tape knot)
- slip knot
- clove hitch
- Munter hitch
- girth hitch
- double fisherman's knot (aka grapevine knot)
- prusik knot
- figure 8 knot (both rewoven and on a bight)
- bowline (single, around an anchor [tree])
- double bowline (on a bight) - this is the middle person on a rope tie-in
- bowline on a coil (on end of rope and in middle of rope): FOR EMERGENCY USE ONLY!
** We will also teach the Mule Knot for tying-off a climber. (Diagram will be supplied.
** We will also teach the use of an Auto-Block for a back-up while rappelling. (p. 203, Freedom/Hills 7)
Also, you must be able to Butterfly Coil and Mountaineer Coil a rope, with tie-off included. (Butterfly Coil tied off around body; Mountaineer Coil prepared to be placed on a pack.)
Bring daypack with 10 Essentials, lunch, helmet, harness w/gear (see gear matrix).