Kendall Peak (winter)
Seattle Alpine Scrambling
Issaquah Transit Center
The goal of this trip will be to scramble Kendell Peak at the back of Commonwealth Basin at Snoqualmie Pass.
To summit this peak in the winter we have to have just the right conditions. Too much fresh snow and the slope is too steep and/or too dangerous to climb. Not enough snow and/or too much rain and the slope will be too icy. If it does not work out we will go elsewhere, most likely to Mt Catherine via the Lake Annette trailhead.
Meet inside the Issquah Transit Center parking garage on the first floor in the Northeast corner at 7:00 AM. Call me on my cell phone at 425-442-6411 if you are running late.
- Ice Axe is always required.
- MSR snowshoes are required.
- Crampons are absolutely required for this trip. Yak Traks and Microspikes are not adequate, but short-tooth aluminum crampons are ok.
- Helmet is required.
- Avalanche Becon is optional but is highly recommended on all winter trips.
- Avalanche shovel and/or probe are optional, but we should have 4 of each for the group.
We will park at Summit West Ski area, then head up the Commonwealth Basin via the old Cascade Crest Trail and the PCT. We will aim for the "5" at 5000' (see the map at the link below) and go straight up from there.
Here is a link to printable map of the area, (the very center of which is the spot on the slope we need to aim for to go between the cliffs and reach the climbing route'): http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=47.443675,-121.386995&t=t2&z=15
NOTE: In the event of heavy nasty rain, the trip will change to an umbrella hike up either Mt Si or Tiger Mountain based on group interest.