Ross Lake East Bank Trail – Desolation Peak
06/15/13 (Sat) - 06/18/13 (Tue)
Tibbets Lot, 1675 Newport Way NW, Issaquah, WA
This trail makes a long trek through the forest, roughly following the eastern shore of Ross Lake. The lake is in view only sporadically, with the best vistas coming between Rainbow Point and the mouth of Devils Creek. The East Bank Trail is an integral leg of the Devils Dome loop trek and can also be combined with the Lightning Creek and Three Fools Trails for longer trips.Desolation Peak
This trail makes a good day trip for hikers based at the mouth of Lightning Creek. The trail presents a challenging climb to the summit of Desolation Peak, where a fire lookout station commands fine views of the surrounding ranges. During the tinder-dry summer of 1926, a wildfire ignited in the Big Beaver Creek valley and spread rapidly eastward, expanding to engulf this low peak that guarded what was then the eastern bank of the Skagit River. The mountain was named Desolation Peak in the wake of this blaze, and a fire lookout was built atop it to help prevent future wildfires. The lookout has been the summer home to a succession of writers and artists over the years. The best-known luminary to stand watch here was Jack Kerouac, beatnik novelist and inveterate wanderer. His season as a fire lookout in 1956 inspired him to write the novel Desolation Angels.References:
- Wilderness Trip Planner - North Cascades National Park
- Ross Lake Resort Transportation / Rockport, Washington
- Green Trails Ross Lake No. 16
- Green Trails Jack Mountain No. 17
- Green Trails Diablo Dam No. 48
- Green Trails Mt Logan No. 49
- Hiking the North Cascades, by Erik Molvar, No. 17 East Bank Trail, No. 19 Desolation Peak, and No. 20 Lightning Creek and Hozomeen Lake
- Backpacking Washington: Overnight and Multiday Routes, by Craig Romano, no. 57 East Bank Trail and Desolation Peak
- Backpacking Washington: From Volcanic Peaks to Rainforest Valleys, by Douglas Lorain, No 9 Western Pasayten - Ross Lake Loop
Although open to all club members over age 18, this trip is also part of the B3 backpacking Building Blocks series and eligible for B3 course credit.
Co-leader: Linda Kuramoto.
These notes are also on my website at [AlpineRover] Ross Lake East Bank Trail - Desolation Peak – 06-15-2013 to 06-18-2013.
Join us on a 4 day journey along the... More
This is no longer open for registration