This comprehensive and highly-acclaimed Sea Kayaking Basics course is offered once each year by the Seattle Branch, and is designed to prepare you for moderate fresh water or salt water outings. All instruction is offered in single sea kayaks with bulkheads or approved flotation. Adequate physical ability to re-enter a kayak after capsize (instruction provided) and ability to swim 50 yards without flotation are necessary requirements.
Includes three evening lectures, a 3 hour Pool Session, and an open water Lake Day. The following topics are covered:
After you complete this instruction, you will have the opportunity to consolidate your learning on two or more introductory/instructional paddles over the course of the summer (two are required for completion of the course).
- Equipment used in coastal kayaking.
- Cold water and how to dress for it.
- Sea conditions: weather, waves, tides and currents.
- Navigation: Charts, aids to navigation, communication and marine rules of the road.
- Rescues and the importance of teamwork.
- Paddling and maneuvering skills and the effects of wind, waves and current on boat behavior.
- Physical conditioning.
- Protection of the marine environment.
- Just how much Fun! this really is.