Archival Policies |
Preservation Guidelines |
Service and Use Fees |
Request for Permission |
Sample Invoice |
Deed of Gift
The following policies have been adopted by the Mountaineers History
- Accept equipment and other artifacts only if related to a particular
event and identified by date, individual user/owner and facts surrounding
- Accept all photographs and films dated prior to 1945. Attempt to
obtain identification by place, time and individuals shown (if any).
- Accept significant photographs and films/videos dated after 1945
only if they can be identified by place, time, individuals shown (if any)
and facts surrounding event.
- Accept all personal journals, manuscripts, trip logs, etc.
- Do not accept books, magazines and journals (other than Mountaineer
Annuals and Bulletins, see below).
- Accept all Mountaineer Annuals and Bulletins.
- Accept ephemera if related to a particular event and identified by
date, individual user/owner and facts surrounding event.
- Materials will be accepted only on the condition that the club has
the right to reassign or dispose of donated materials as the club deems
- To facilitate screening of artifacts, prospective donors should
submit to the History Committee a photograph of each artifact to be
donated, for evaluaton. This enables the Committee to determine whether
the item is a suitable addition to Mountaineer collections. To contact
the History Committee,
In June 2008, the History Committee decided to temporarily increase the
number of Annuals retained for each year by one. This decision is in
anticipation of a future project to digitize the Mountaineer Annuals.
Digitization may be a destructive process (requiring the bindings to be
removed) and we decided to prepare for that possibility.
- Mountaineer Annuals: Retain ten copies of each Mountaineer Annual
prior to and including 1956.
- Retain six copies of each Mountaineer Annual subsequent to 1956.
- Evaluate condition of retained Annuals and when condition is deemed
less than perfect attempt to obtain replacements by advertising in the
Bulletin and soliciting donations.
- Equipment: Retain only if there will be display and storage
space available within club facilities. Otherwise, attempt to place in
other appropriate museums or collections.
- Photos, films, videos, personal journals, etc: Attempt to
place all such materials in other appropriate museums or collections
except in those cases where club member access would be overly restricted
or where ongoing and repeated member use is expected.