The Accounting Assistant performs a range of general accounting tasks, including processing accounts payable, accounts receivable, and bank deposits. Additionally, the Accounting Assistant ensures that volunteers and staff understand and follow policies that ensure strong controls and accurate reporting. This position provides assistance to the Accounting Manager and Chief Operating Officer.
- Ensure accuracy of invoices from vendors and check requests from staff and volunteers.
- Code expenses and assemble voucher packages for approval by appropriate managers.
- Input data to accounting software.
- Process payment checks.
- Perform other basic clerical duties, including filing.
- Respond to questions from vendors, staff, and volunteers regarding payments.
- Maintain and ensure accuracy of accounting records, maintain proper internal controls, and ensure compliance with all relevant company policies.
- Perform transaction reclasses when necessary.
- Record EFT and ACH transactions.
Deposits and revenue tracking
- Perform daily batch closing for the membership system.
- Perform daily batch closing for the bookstore point of sale system.
- Prepare daily bank deposits for the membership receipts.
- Prepare other bank deposits, as needed.
- Work with vendors, staff, and volunteers to meet the above requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned in support of the goals of the organization.
- Suggest and implement process and organizational system improvements.
- Post-High School Degree or Certificate required.
- Minimum one year of accounting experience, preferably in a nonprofit environment.
- Passion for the mission of The Mountaineers, and ability to exemplify the organization’s values. Strong desire and ability to work in a diverse, team-centric goal-focused environment.
- Experienced user of Microsoft Office Suite and any accounting software. Familiar with or able to learn Microsoft Dynamics SL Accounting and FRX Reporting software, and PayPal credit card processing system.
- Self-motivated and well organized with creative problem solving abilities, analytical thought process, demonstrated ability to take initiative and prioritize tasks, and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively at all levels and to build and maintain strong internal and external customer relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with a high degree of accuracy and efficiency.
- Experience working with volunteers preferred.
- Retail sales or customer service experience, including use of point of sale software, preferred.
The successful candidate will possess the following competencies:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and a sense of humor.
- A passion for the outdoors.
- Collaborative, hard working, resourceful and creative.
- Desire to work in a small nonprofit work environment.
- Ability to work independently with minimal day-to-day supervision while managing multiple projects. Can prioritize multiple tasks, organize work, and follow through independently. Self-motivated and takes individual initiative. Sets and follows through on priorities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to sit and perform extensive keyboard work. The employee is occasionally required to bend for storing and retrieving files, and to use stairs.
Compensation and Benefits
This position is for a part-time non-exempt employee. Regular schedule will be 20-25 hours a week. Benefits include membership in The Mountaineers, and paid sick, vacation and holiday time. A 401(k) retirement plan is available after one year of employment.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email a resume and a cover letter explaining 1) what experience, skills and personal characteristics qualify you for this position and 2) why the mission and work of The Mountaineers appeals to you. Send all information to email@example.com. Full consideration is assured for letters and resumes received by March 14, 2014.
Disclaimer: The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
The Mountaineers provides equal employment opportunities to all people regardless of race, age, sex, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion or any other basis protected by law.
The Mountaineers Organization
The Mountaineers was formed in 1906 to explore the wild areas and peaks in the Pacific Northwest and beyond. With 10,000 members and branches from Olympia to Bellingham, The Mountaineers enjoys an outstanding reputation in its field and in the community. Our dedicated staff, members and volunteers are deeply committed to successfully accomplishing our mission. Each year 500 volunteers deliver outdoor skill courses to 2,500 students and lead over 2,000 recreational trips and courses. In addition we advocate for access and protection of recreational lands. Last year we helped protect 30,000 acres of public land in Washington State. The organization also publishes more than 500 outdoor recreation and conservation advocacy books via its Publishing Division. Our mission is to enrich the lives of people by helping them explore, conserve, learn about, and enjoy the wild lands and waters of the Pacific Northwest and beyond. The Mountaineers has a staff of 30 employees (14 employees at the Program Center where this job is located) and an annual operating budget of four million dollars. Please visit the other pages on our website for in-depth information about our organization, activities, programs, and mission.
The Mountaineers provides equal employment opportunities to all people regardless of race, age, sex, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion or any other basis protected by law. Please feel free to visit this page in the future for any openings that may occur.
Disclaimer: The above information for all open positions above has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within the particular classification. It is not designed to contain or to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the particular job.